- Pain control with opioids
- Preparing for the death of a loved one
- Home and community services
- Providing home health services over the phone
(More resources and downloadable materials available here)
Aids to provide comfort
Aromatherapy and heat products. Home and Spa comfort products assist in relieving aches and pains, promote relaxation and stimulate the senses. Karen McKee is the president of Warm Buddy Company. Her background as a Registered Nurse combined with her interest in alternative therapies, herbal medicine and aromatherapy, led to studies in India at a natural healing hospital. She noted the hospital’s application of herbal preparations and heat therapy to provide comfort and relief for many conditions.
Choosing to Smile -Glenda Standeven
What Dying People want -David Khul
Final Gifts -Maggie Callanan
Dying Well – Dr. Ira Byock
Being Mortal – Atul Gwande
Kitchen Table Wisdom- Rachel Naomi Remen
- Coping with death for carers and professionals – Grief and Sympathy.com
- North Shore Hospice Society – (sponsors of N.S. Palliative Day Program) -committed to supporting the provision of quality end-of-life care on the North Shore. This website is our link to our community, healthcare professionals, palliative patients, their families, friends and caregivers. Welcome. This resource is for you. We hope you find the Advice helpful, the Stories inspiring and the Resources useful.
- Squamish Hospice Society – The Squamish Hospice Society is a non-profit community service designed to support end of life care for patients and their families.
- North Shore Grief Recovery Society – North Shore Grief Recovery has served the North Shore since 1990 – rebuilding the lives of the bereaved.
- Family Services of the North Shore – Family Services of the North Shore is an accredited not-for-profit community-based agency that offers education, support and counselling services. We have been caring for the community for over 60 years.
- Living Through Loss Counselling Society of B.C.-LTLC (founded in 1972) is a not-for-profit organization that provides professional grief counselling to adults and children who have experienced any type of loss. We offer a confidential and supportive environment in which to discuss your concerns.
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association -the national voice for Hospice Palliative Care in Canada. Advancing and advocating for quality end-of-life/hospice palliative care in Canada, its work includes public policy, public education and awareness. Established in 1991, its volunteer Board of Directors is composed of hospice palliative care workers and volunteers from Canadian provinces and territories as well as members-at-large.
- Vancouver Coastal Health -Locate health care services in Vancouver, Richmond, North and West Vancouver and along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast and BC’s Central Coast.
- Coping with Cancer? – BC Cancer Agency information regarding palliative care and coping with cancer.
- Inspire Health – Canadas foremost integrated Cancer Centre.
- Advance Care Planning – Advance Care Planning lets you have a say about the healthcare that you would like to receive if you get very sick and cannot speak for yourself.
- Health Canada – Palliative and End of life Care.
- Dying matters – a wide range of resources to help people start conversations about dying, death and bereavement.